Thursday, August 31, 2006

Back to School

I always think about school as September approaches, even though it's been more than 12 years since I attended school regularly. If I had a lot of money and a lot of time, I would love to get an MBA. But the cost scares me. And the math scares me. There are many reasons I was an English major -- math is just one of them.

But here's an interesting alternative: The Personal MBA. The Personal MBA was created by Josh Kaufman, who's a marketing executive. It seems like just a list of books -- but it's a pretty interesting list, covering personal development, operations, sales, those dreaded financial topics, etc. The site also offers a forum for other "students" taking the Personal MBA course so you can chat.

I've already chosen a few of the books from the list that I'd like to check out: Mastery; Now, Discovery Your Strengths; Getting Things Done (which has its own tag category over on Lifehacker); Poor Charlie's Almanack; Getting to Yes; Flawless Consulting; and American Business, 1920-2000. And that's just a sample; there are 42 books on the list.

Obviously, a list of books does not an MBA make. But it's a great place to start.

No comments: