Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Great -- Now We're Zombies

First, there was the whole Rachel Cooke thing. Now Gore Vidal is saying "readers are dead." He claims "the novel doesn't interest anybody." I haven't read the whole interview, so I don't know exactly what he's saying. Even so -- what exactly is he saying? I'm pretty sure I've read at least a couple of novels this year. Or did that happen in my zombie other-life?

Found this article on a very interesting Web site called if:book -- A Project of the Institute for the Future of the Book. Check it out -- very thought-provoking stuff.

2 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

I just read the stuff in your link and it unfortunately sounds like another person with a bit too much intelligence for their own good who might have a slight point but has taken it and run with it as if it was a monumental truth.

Unknown said...

Yes, I think too often today people make statements like that simply to get a reaction -- they don't really believe it or care about what they are saying. They just like seeing what happens after.