Thursday, July 26, 2007

Not Harry Potter-Related

Well, not much anyway. Everyone has talked about it so much now (Colleen had some great posts and comments on her blog), I don't need to repeat it. It was a wonderful book, a perfect end to the story; I read it all in one 10-hour sitting on Saturday. And though I was sad it's over, I'm looking forward to reading all the books again sometime soon.

In other reading news, I just had another bout of my Mafia obsession. Finished Wiseguy and The Last Mafioso, which I picked up at a recent garage sale. Wiseguy was great; it's the book on which the movie GoodFellas is based. The Last Mafioso was only okay -- I was a bit dubious as to how someone could so distinctly remember word-for-word conversations that were 30 or more years old.

I've moved on to the delightful Sex with the Queen. It's such a guilty pleasure -- a little bit of history along with some very scandalous details.

Hope to have some crafting news soon; I'm back to knitting and have another new craft I'm working on.

8 comments:

Kirsten said...

Thanks for not revealing any spoilers :) I've avoided keeping up with my Bloglines reading because I am still only on book 5 of Harry Potter and I don't want to know what happens in 7 - although I'm sure I'll hear it somewhere before I get a chance to read it! My husband is reading 7 while I am reading 5 and I've told him no comments until I can read it too :)

Unknown said...

Good luck! I was so afraid of spoilers, that's why I read it all in one day. I do envy you, though, reading previous books recently. I came very late to HP so I read 1-6 about six months ago. It would have been nice to skim through 6 again before I read 7.

Tara said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed HP. I picked up book 1 and was browsing the first chapter. I'd also like to go back and reread them all someday - it will all much so much sense.

Anonymous said...

I'm dying to read "Sex With the Queen"--it looks great!

My only bummer is that there doesn't appear to be too much detail about Eleanor of Aquitaine and her marriage to Henry (some stuff in there about when she was married to Louis and had the affair with her uncle....). She's my fave.

Unknown said...

Tara -- I think the brilliance of Rowling is that her books are so full of "stuff" that they'll stand up to multiple readings. My sister, who's read the books many more times than I have, reminded me of something that happened way back in Book 3 that has relevance in Book 7.

Colleen -- Eleanor is my fave too! The Lion in Winter is my all-time favorite movie. I've read a couple of good biographies of both her and Henry II. If I was ever going to write a novel, it would be around those two.

AngryMan said...

How would you match up Wiseguys with Goodfellas?

Unknown said...

Angry Man -- It's hard for me to be objective about Goodfellas, since I've seen it so many times and really enjoy it. I think the movie is a very faithful adaptation of Wiseguys. The book is written in three voices: Pileggi's omniscient narrator, as well as Henry and Karen Hill. There are whole chunks of dialog from the book that are repeated exactly in the movie. There was a bit more explanation of some things in the book and the sequence of events seemed a bit different in the movie. But I highly recommend both.

Booklogged said...

Sex with the Queen sounds like an iteresting book. Also, you've reminded me that I've always wanted to read The Lion in Winter. Adding both books to my list.